Monday, May 22, 2006

Random links

Calvin and Hobbes- 10 years worth of Calvin and Hobbes ought to be enough to while away a rainy afternoon. I was sick last week and this really helped my boredom of being stuck in bed.

I am Fashion- Fantastic fashion website from a girl who obviously ought to be working as a stylist or personal shopper. Great picks and analysis of current trends.

Photoblogs- These are two that I love and visit over and over again because the photo quality is just beautiful; they make me wish I could appreciate the art of good photography more. They also make me wish I could take photographs like that. The two are Chromogenic and Chromasia.

Time magazine features an article on what it considers to be the 100 greatest novels from 1922 onwards. I personally disagree with many of their choices and I'm completely flabbergasted that they left out certain writers altogether. But it's an interesting list all the same and a good guide for anyone trying to catch up on some serious reading.

The last link, but arguably the one with the best writing is one that I've been reading for some time. A Babe in Toyland is the blog of a girl living in Hongkong and it contains detailed posts on her adventures in the bedroom and out, all written with charm, wit and panache. It's difficult for me to categorize it as merely a sex blog when she writes so cogently and intelligently about so many other issues as well.

Here's an excerpt:

"Recently, I have been getting acquainted with my inner demons. Readers, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Pettiness. Suspicion. Greed. Selfishness. Jealousy. Cynicism. And yes, they're pleased to meet you too

....

I do not underestimate their power and their capability to consume me. They are dark, suffocating passions with vice-like grips that all the girly lunches and retail therapy cannot shake. They are afflictions with the ability to eat me up from the inside.

They are adversaries of the night. They need to be fought, exorcised, beaten off with the fiery stick of courage and conviction. If not to preserve the dynamics of my relationship, then for my sanity...."

Have a read, you may blush at some of her more liberal escapades but above all she writes and lives with a passion that so many of us could only dream of.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home