Monday, April 17, 2006

Hit me!

It's very odd but I had to wait to come to Melbourne before I finally indulged in some terribly Singaporean activities.

Over the past few weeks, if you asked me on any random Saturday morning what I'd been up to the night before and then carefully noted my dark eye rings and exhausted demeanour, I'd have blushed and looked slightly guilty.

Strange but true that I came to Melbourne and learnt to indulge in both mahjong and blackjack.

I don't know why I never learnt to play either of these games in Singapore. I mean, one reads about housewives/tai-tais playing mahjong all the time and I'd always subconsciously assumed that once I reached a certain age I'd automatically end up with a bad perm and an addiction to a game played with white tiles.

But then here I am before my mid twenties have even been breached, already with an incurable itch to "wash tiles" and play somemore even after a weekend of indulgence. Or perhaps I finally started hanging out with the right crowd of Singaporeans with whom I could indulge in these guilty pleasures.

As for blackjack, somehow my family never really took up the hoary tradition of having blackjack games during Chinese New Year. It may seem amazing to most Singaporeans but my Chinese New Year celebrations principally consisted of much eating and tea drinking rather than participation in any particular sort of gambling.

What's next?

Perhaps I should hop down to Singapore Pools the next time I'm home and buy my first ever 4-D ticket?

Just kidding! I have no intention of wasting my time(and money) in that way. But I'd give anything to see the look on my sister's face when she reads that line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home