Monday, April 10, 2006

Testing the Limits

Yesterday I took part in a 14.7 km charity run. Needless to say, I'm in much pain today from waist down. Before yesterday, the furthest I'd ever run was 7km and that was on the threadmill in the gym under controlled circumstances. I honestly found it hard to comprehend trying to run more than double that distance. After all,it was only 5 months ago that I started to jog a little at the gym and at that time the furthest I had ever run was the 2.4 km run that is a compulsory component of the Singapore school's fitness regime.

The run itself was so weird in some ways. It was both harder and easier than I thought it would be. Easier because the distance went past faster than I thought it would. Before Sunday I'd never even run out of doors in Melbourne before so the scenery flashing past, the people running by actually helped keep me interested and distracted from the pain in my butt and thighs.

Harder, because running outdoors is so different from the threadmill in the gym. One has to sidestep obstacles, cope with the sharp rise toward the bridge we were to run across (believe that steep slope almost killed me) and slow down the pace in order to deal with the crowd.

The first three kilometres went past faster than I thought and I hit my stride somewhere around 4.5 km into the run. All went pretty smoothly until around the 11km mark which is when I really began to tire. My legs hurt because I'd stupidly played 2 hours of badminton on Friday and had gone into the run with already achy legs and somewhere around that point in time I really had to persuade myself to keep going and not just stop and give up.

But then the route turned into the main part of Melbourne city and there were people all lined up in the streets and shouting encouragement and oh my god you have no idea how much that helped me. There were people clapping and yelling for us to keep going and I was somehow motivated to just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

All the same, the last 3 km of the run was horrible going for me. My thighs were protesting and my butt really hurt and I kept wondering if I was absolutely crazy for doing this.

It wasn't until I finished the run that I realised that running is really all about pushing the limits. Now that I know I've done it before, I know I can do it again.

I know 14.7 km doesn't sound like a big deal for loads of people who run regularly or for guys who have had to do the army half marathon. But for me, this is the furthest I've ever run in my life and I never thought even one year ago that I could do something like this and (sorry for this bit of arrogance) but I feel so darned proud of myself for going for this alone and finishing it.

If anyone is interested, here is the website for the run which includes a map of the route and contains more information about the Good Friday charity appeal for the Royal Children's Hospital.

3 Comments:

Blogger Whyldcarrd said...

Haha, i'm sure it wasn't easy but i was just as sure u'd be able to finish it. I hope this shows that you can do anything if u put ur mind to it. Just glad that i could warn u about running outside, and gladder still that u finished it in one piece. This is a kick in the nads for all those who thought u wouldn't make it, or were discouraging. Just stop complaining about the aches!

9:13 AM  
Blogger TriplePeriod said...

Yeah. You should be proud of yourself. Now, lemme see when I can try for that 8th km which I have always been eyeing...

7:53 AM  
Blogger Vanion said...

Wah...14.7km???

Sheesh... when you're back in S'pore you can come jog with my jogging club then. Only 5km every sunday. =)

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home