Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The tail wags the dog

My own grandmother died of kidney failure when I was 7 and ever since then my family has supported NKF by donating money every single year.

I don't feel like we should anymore.

It seems that they not only overpay their CEO, they also overstate the number of patients in order to generate more donations.

This, coming after the recent NKF Cancer show in which various celebs performed all kinds of nonsensical stunts in order to raise money, just hurts. For the people who put in time, effort and risked injury to themselves, this piece of news will always leave a bitter taste in their mouths. After all their heartfelt pleas to the public to call in and support the charity, I wonder if any will look back in sheer embarrassment and rage.

There isn't much else to say. Except that their CEO watched recession struck Singaporeans donate money year after year and continued to perpetuate this fraud. His house, car and lavish lifestyle, all paid for by decent hardworking people who believed they were doing the right thing.

This must be how people feel like when they finally wake up after years of having been brainwashed by some cult group.

3 Comments:

Blogger jeffyen said...

The Enron of sg, this is...

But I guess they will overhaul the whole thing. The folks who need the money are the patients. Luckily the reserves are enough last this rough patch...

9:49 AM  
Blogger Heavenly Sword said...

Yeah, I agree, and I can't believe there are still people saying that $600,000 is just the right pay for him. Sigh...

4:19 AM  
Blogger jeffyen said...

Heavenly, I think it's possible to argue that POV given the appropriate social conditions/realities specific to a particular geographical location.

The Health minister has implied as much, there's nothing inherently wrong with his relatively high pay... Personally, I don't buy the argument totally...

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home