Wednesday, June 08, 2005

When the going gets tough

I think of home. The only thing keeping me going is the thought that in less than ten days I'll be arriving in Changi Airport with a huge grin plastered on my face and my hair sticking up from the long plane ride.

I miss the funniest things about Singapore. Most people just miss the food but strangely that wasn't such a huge problem with me.

I missed the places I'd walk around with friends. I missed the bright shiny shopping malls where you could get Japanese titbits( Bugis basement, Taka basement, Plaza Sing basement) and where there'd be annoying people handing out flyers at your face and shops having offers on all the time.

I even miss the crowds of aunties and kids in school uniforms and the dull uproar a Singaporean crowd makes.

And when I slept I sometimes even dreamt of Suntec Shopping mall where I used to go every weekend with the bf. ( His church is there)

In the dream I was walking past Mango and going up an escalator to this little San bookstore where I used to buy my weekly fix of books , comics and magazines.

In other dreams, I'd be at home at about 5-6pm when the sun slants in through the windows and there's this really good smell in the air cos the maid and all the other families in the neighbourhood would be cooking dinner.There'd be screams and shouts of little kids emanating from the playground opposite my house.And it would be warm but not too hot the heat of the day having already been spent.

At this time of the day I sometimes went and sat at my porch and watched the kids play. Or took my bike out and went for a ride around the neighbourhood. It was just the best time of the day for being outdoors and enjoying life in the sun. ( Doesn't help that I'm never in Melbourne during summer of course)

Once when I was lying in bed daydreaming, I heard this dull thud from my neighbour downstairs and my heart gave this sudden leap. It sounded so much like the way my mum's car door slammed shut when she got home from work. I wanted so much to get out of bed and go downstairs to find her getting out of the car juggling her handbag, keys and work tote but smiling and asking me about my day.

The next week is exam week and I am still not doing great on the revision bit.

So every now and then I take a break and I dream about home.

5 Comments:

Blogger adinahaes said...

Yes it is an oasis in the middle of the Suntec madness.

I'm surprised it's still there though. The last time I was home they were handing out flyers and leaflet warning of an impending move to Millenia Walk.

Perhaps its going to be later this year.

7:50 PM  
Blogger methegirl3 said...

hey...im linking u, is that ok? i found your blog thru..hm, random surfing. i looked at one of your entries about you and the church, and i share the same sentiments with regards to the faith. i'm a christian myself too, btw.

1:40 AM  
Blogger methegirl3 said...

oops, im at methegirl3@blogspot

1:41 AM  
Blogger Miss SchmooTorte said...

This is exactly how I feel somedays. Funny to know that you miss the smells too..I just came back a month ago and stuffed my face with japanese oyster balls from Taka basement food court. *yum*

1:42 PM  
Blogger adinahaes said...

methegirl3: yes you can link me, was away cos of my exams. sorry i took so long to reply.

miss schootorte: yeah i do really miss those smells.funny thing is that i hardly ever eat those jap snacks...but somehow the smell brings back so many memories.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home