Saturday, May 07, 2005

Enuwy got browned!!!

Wow, this is the first time someone I actually knew got browned! I feel like I should buy her a drink or something. Never mind, I'll treat her to chocolate the next time I go home.

It was her post about applying to be a Singapore citizen that he linked to.

If I weren't so dead exhausted today I'd be jumping up and down. Also he's right, she is a cutie *wink*

I realised today, that coming to Melbourne has turned me into an ah soh(housewife). I now know the prices of fruits and veg well enough to tell when they have gone up and my friends and I shriek in unison over cheap bananas in Victoria Market.They were 80 cents a kilo, tell me is that CHEAP or what!!!

In Singapore, I never even stepped into the kitchen thanks to having a maid my entire life.When I was a child I actually believed that clothes magically got cleaned and returned to my wardrobe all by themselves. So when people tell you that you mature alot when you go overseas to study, you'd better believe them! I couldn't even cook rice when I first came and by the end of the year I could whip up meals for 7-8 people. I also now know....

1. Oil and water in a hot pan together is a baaad idea
2. Vacuum cleaners actually have bags in them that one has to detach and throw away when they get full....(I really never knew)
3.Switching off the main switch when one leaves for a month's holiday will cause the fridge to switch off and the explosive growth of a fungi based ecosystem on all the food you left in the fridge.
4. Cleaning up aforementioned fungi is the most disgusting task ever.
5. Guys eat anything.Even your cooking mistakes.(well I had to learn some how)
6. Fabric softener should not be added to clothes directly because they will leave a stain that will never ever come off....*sob* my pretty Mango T shirt died that day.

7.Finally, in a land where the weather acts like a pms-ing lady, do not leave stuff on your balconey. It will blow away.




8 Comments:

Blogger enuwy said...

Wah, you put me on the title of your post!! I'm going to have to remind you about that drink/chocolate when you get back :)

I've linked your post on "Singapore and home" by the way.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Han said...

you have been tomorrowed!!!

=)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heh.. my best friend had a similar experience with Items 3 and 4!

http://polar_bears.blogspot.com/2005/05/friendshit.html#comments

3:57 AM  
Blogger cher said...

Haha thanks for this entry. Came in pretty handy for someone who hasn't cooked rice in her entire life, and is leaving for melbourne in 3 weeks to live ALONE (:

6:34 AM  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

i've just got my ass to melbs beginning of this year, and i just got myself exposed to those same lessons as you mentioned! haha! (except the fungi in fridge one... eeeewww!)

IDL101: independent living
housework, cooking, doing your readings and bringing in the clothes from the balcony when leaving the house.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And you got Tomorrowed, haha.

http://tomorrow.sg/archives/2005/05/09/singapore_student_learns_many_do.html

3:47 AM  
Blogger adinahaes said...

heh, i guess the world now knows what a terrible housekeeper i am.

for those going overseas to study, don't worry. there's be a few mistakes...some might be a little ickier than others but in the end you'll find yourself in the enviable position of knowing basic survival skills.....

(and memorizing the number of the nearest takeout by heart)

6:26 AM  
Blogger adinahaes said...

heh, i guess the world now knows what a terrible housekeeper i am.

for those going overseas to study, don't worry. there's be a few mistakes...some might be a little ickier than others but in the end you'll find yourself in the enviable position of knowing basic survival skills.....

(and memorizing the number of the nearest takeout by heart)

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home