Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Best moment of the Golden Globes was when...

Ang Lee gave his thank you speech while accepting the award for Best Director. Not only did he give the speech in flawless English but he also wished all the world a happy new year in Chinese.

By doing that, he acknowledged the chinese audience and foregrounded to a worldwide audience the biggest Chinese cultural celebration of all.

I'm now living in a country which does not and probably will not acknowledge this holiday despite the enormous chinese immigrant population in its midst. Australia's public holidays remain stubbornly White Anglo-Saxon Protestant in nature and for the first time, because I will be here during Chinese New Year, I really feel the sting of being in a minority racial group.

I miss garishly red Chinese New Year crap being sold in every other shop and hung up everywhere.

I miss the pineapple tarts and pussy willows and my grandad.

And I even miss helping my mum out with the spring cleaning.

It feels all wrong to be here during Chinese New year; the one moment in the year when I truly acknowledge my cultural roots and draw a little closer to my family.

3 Comments:

Blogger TriplePeriod said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Vanion said...

*gasp*

You wretched little girl... how could you ever leave out that delicious thing we call bak kwa when talking abt what you miss of CNY???

Honestly!!! Call yourself a chinese!!!

*grins*

7:22 AM  
Blogger adinahaes said...

I can picture the look on your face when you see this statement

I don't really miss bak kwa at all.

*grin*

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home